At 8:00 this morning I was seating in my car driving to campus for my first class of the day. I had chosen to grab an extra 30 minutes of sleep as usually so I was unable to eat breakfast before leaving my house. So I grabbed a breakfast bar and a cup of milk on my way out the dour. I turned on my radio to listen to the Heather and DC show on Alice like every morning. Today the topic was dieting and one of the things brought up on the show was how a woman had decided to sue McDonalds for $5,000,000 claiming the fast food chain had made her fat. So here I was eating my nutria-grain bar thinking to myself “I need to stop eating this and go pick up a McDouble because I could use a little extra money for tuition.” Now how ridicules is it that this woman had decided to sue McDonalds because she chose to throw back a few to many Quarter Pounders? Is it McDonalds fault that she decided to not workout? Is it McDonalds fault that this woman is apparently incapable of choosing healthier foods that don’t contain excessive amounts of grease and fat? Absolutely not! Now have we as a society told corporations like McDonalds that we care more about taste than health? Probably, but we still can control what we put into our own bodies.
People like this woman are a perfect example of how far we as a nation have fallen. Where you want the world placed on a silver platter but don’t want to do anymore work than absolutely necessary and if something goes wrong blame the other guy. We were once much better than that! In the coming years we will have to remember where we came from if we wish to remain the super power that we are.
Dear Matthew,
ReplyDeleteI find it absolutely absurd that people try to pin their poor life choices on fast food chains when no one in the world forces them to eat thousands of calories worth of food on a daily basis. Now more than ever, there is no way to blame the resturant for gaining weight when there is the nutrition information, calories, fat, etc printed right on the wrappers! This is just an excuse for someone to take advantage of their situation for personal wealth.
My favorite part was when you said you thought about doing the same thing to help pay for college! Very funny.
The idea of putting blame on someone else for our own mistakes. I believe we as humans makes this a habit which is definitely not a good thing to do. If we could just admit we ate unhealthy and need to lose weight (in this situation) and just make the necessary life changes to do so everything would be fine!
Thank you very much for saying what many of us (especially myself) have been thinking for the longest time. This blog post is pretty funny!
-Galago
Dear mjones27,
ReplyDeleteI have heard stories similiar to this one & think it is just CRAZY! For example, someone sued Mcdonald's for their coffee being too hot! The way I look at it, their wasting their own money on an attorney. & shame on that attorney for actually taking on a case like that! But...it's all about the money right? It's one big vicious cycle!
Too many American's have grown up being GIVEN things, & so they think that they should be GIVEN skinniness as well! Nothing comes without a price! & if your gonna go out & choose to eat those things that aren't so good for you, it's your OWN responsibility to workout, or eat less if you don't want to be fat!
I agree with you on that no one seems to take responsibility for their own actions any more. We live in a free country where we can CHOOSE what we eat. We aren't FORCED to eat McDonald's multiple times a week! I think people fall into eating McDonald's too much because it's so convenient, rather cheap & is REALLY good!
Thank you for discussing this topic & bringing up how CRAZY people are sometimes in this crazy world! They will do whatever they can to try & get ahead!
-Rhino