![]() |
| No Rights Reserved |
Normally I like to stay away from controversial issues such as politics and money but there is something I have to say. Republicans need to sit down and shut up when it comes to extending the Bush tax cuts. Now don’t get me wrong, if I had to choose between Democrats or Republicans I would most likely be a Republican. There is just something wrong in my mind though when I think that during this time of economic turmoil our government will be handing out large tax cuts to the richest people in our country.
The United States deficit is at $14,000,000,000,000 and growing by billions every month. We cannot afford to continue on this path. If we allow the tax cuts to be given out again it will cost us another $36,000,000,000. I don’t know about you but I don’t feel like footing the bill just so someone else can afford to upgrade from the 800 foot yacht to the 1500 foot yacht.
Now I also understand the trickle down effect and how a lot of research proves it works a good amount of the time. I just don’t believe anyone below the upper middle class line can afford to wait another 2 to 6 years for the benefits to finally rich them. This is not the time to keep doing what we always have done. This is the time for action. This is the time to get our house in order and get rid of the massive debt handing above our shoulders. Because if we don’t start doing that soon the string that is holding it up will collapse on top of us.

Dear Writer,
ReplyDeleteBeing someone who identifies more with Democrats than Republicans, I certainly agree with your statements here. The Bush Tax Cuts are a moneysuck on the economy funneling entirely too many of the assets back to the people who already have plenty.
When you quoted the amount of money the tax cuts would add to the deficit, it's a rather astounding statement. Like, Oprah doesn't even have a bank account with that many zeros. The fact that the tax cuts are even being discussed right now is insane, given our country's economic climate.
I have to nitpick a bit though, because while it has been documented that there is a trickle-down effect associated with tax cuts like these, this, in my opinion, does not make them worth it. And I can't even fathom the idea that these tax cuts are for the greater good at all; they are proposed and argued for by rich people looking out for their own gain.
This particular post just really caught my eye. I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to politics. If you tie in some more topics having to do with political issues, you'll definitely keep my interest here.
- Mockingbird