![]() |
| Toyota ™ |
All of this equals one thing for those employees, less money in their paychecks. Many are being forced into getting second jobs to subsidize their income until the plant is back at full capacity. Although few are being faced with the tough reality that there are not many jobs out there to be had; especially for those individuals with no more than a high school diploma. When jobs like these are taking away or stripped to the bare bone our overall economy can suffer. The small towns in which most of these plants are take the brunt of the hit but it trickles over to everyone. With fewer cars being made Toyota dealerships have fewer products to sell. To lesion the blow to their bottom line they must raise prices forcing you to pay more for that shiny new car this summer.
This goes to show how intertwined our economy is with those of others all over the world. When a country we do business with is suffering its in our best interests to see them out of the rough times not only to get them back on their feet but to protect our own citizens. So next time someone asks you “why are we helping that country when we have our own problems” tell them this story and say, “So we don’t have more problems.”
Works Cited
Bunkley, Nick. "Toyota Plans to Reduce Production for 6 Weeks." New York Times. 19 Apr. 2011. Web. 19 Apr. 2011. <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/20/business/global/20auto.html?ref=business>.
Works Cited
Bunkley, Nick. "Toyota Plans to Reduce Production for 6 Weeks." New York Times. 19 Apr. 2011. Web. 19 Apr. 2011. <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/20/business/global/20auto.html?ref=business>.

Dear Corporations Related to Students:
ReplyDeleteI am very surprised that Japan is being affected this drastically by their recent incidents. I always viewed Japan as a “well oiled machine” and didn’t think natural disasters would cause such damage to their economy. Before the tsunami and earthquakes auto manufacturers were racing all over the country to make a profit through their high population but now local manufacturer Toyota is going through a tough time.
I was interesting to learn that “Toyota plants have decided to make their workweek shorter giving their employees a four-day weekend. With only being open three days a week the plants still only work at half production to stretch the resources they have left.” This worries me because with only a 4 day work week many workers salaries will be suddenly changed and this could cause many new problems. I'm sure a lot of these families built lives based on the money they have been earning at the Toyota plants and having less income could force many to quit and find new jobs.
Another point you made that I found intriguing was “Less parts means less cars the manufactures in America can produce.” I will be curious to see how hard the United States auto industries are affected by this shortage of parts since we just recently recovered from our depression. Also I wonder if this shortage lasts if it will create more American jobs to make up for the parts shortage.
I really enjoyed reading your article and plan to return, keep up the good work.
Corporations Related to Students,
ReplyDeleteThe earthquake has definitely taken on a toll on the Japanese economy. My dad works at a Toyota dealership here in Arkansas and from the recalls to the earthquakes in Japan, it's been tough.
"To lesion the blow to their bottom line they must raise prices forcing you to pay more for that shiny new car this summer." This statement stood out to me because like all car dealerships, they advertise a low price guarantee. I know my dad's dealership does, and Toyotas are known for being less expensive, but still being satisfactory cars.
"This goes to show how intertwined our economy is with those of others all over the world." I completely agree our country trades and does business with many other countries, including Japan. Japan being hurt by this earthquake doesn't only affect the Japanese country, it affects the whole world.
I really enjoyed this blog and I liked the points you made in your last paragraph. I will be coming back to look at the rest of your blog posts in the future!
Bunting
Dear Corporation's Related to Students,
ReplyDeleteI truly liked reading your blog post. You made a really good point and you used a great example to illustrate it. This blog post definitely showed how connected the world is through corporations. It is crazy to think that a devastated country across the world affects our own country. I appreciated your comment that said, "All of this equals one thing for those employees, less money in their paychecks". This demonstrates the sad reality that is taking place in Japan right now. Because of one tragic event, citizens of Japan are losing money for their families. The company Toyota is a perfect example of one that is suffering a devasting loss. Companies like Toyota hire so many employees and when something happens to disrupt the company people lose paychecks. I also liked the the following statement, "When a country we do business with is suffering its in our best interests to see them out of the rough times not only to get them back on their feet but to protect our own citizens". This is very true in my opinion. We can't just sit back and watch a country ruin. If we do that the country will have trouble recovering and our own economy could get worse. The world has built such a tangled system of corporations that we have no choice but to help each other in times of catastrophe. Thanks so much for writing! I will visit your site again if your posts continue to be relevant in my life.
Britney Crawley
Dear Writer,
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post because a lot of people question why America does what it does involving other countries, and they need to know why.
I had never really thought about exactly how one country's misfortune is linked to our own country and economy, so I'm really glad that you explained that. It's astonishing to see just how entwined each country is to the next.
I agreed with you when you talked about people asking why we are helping another country out and not just worrying about our own problems. It's because, in the end, we know that their problems will soon cause problems in our own country.
This post was very interesting and I will definitely be back to read more!
Genet
Dear writer,
ReplyDeleteIt is so sad when something like a tsunami or earthquake happens, but it makes it even worse when so many people are affeted. I think it's a great topic. I had no idea that Toyota was doing this.
It's very sad to see so many people who rely on the Toyota company for a paycheck every week or two, are getting a reduced income. With our economy as it is, none of them would be able to just go out and find another job either. This has to be devestating to families of the workers.
It really is true that all of our economies are intertwined. Most people don't realize that what happens in China, Japan, Korea, France, it all affects us! It's great that some countries can get together and help each other out, not only for the country in need, but for their own!
Thank you for the great post.
Springbok